Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Favourite Projects of 2010


First, the big job that I've put off for years... the postage stamps. I have my own childhood album, and the albums I inherited from my grandmother, plus thousands of loose stamps sent to me by my aunty. I had to make index lists for all the albums, research the value of the stamps, and this last part, not quite done yet... approach a stamp trader with the stamps I'm not keeping. While doing this immense job, I managed to sort some lovely sets of stamps for my etsy shop so that the beautiful stamps can be used in other people's creative work. For years I have known I have to do this job, but it was so overwhelming, chaos can freak me out a little bit, and it was also difficult to find the space necessary to sort the loose stamps into separate nations, then find separate storage envelopes or acid free baggies for them to keep them separate... I used to sit on the couch and hyperventilate a little bit, until one day I could actually begin to do the work.

I have also begun to use some of the stamps myself to make jewelry and hopefully this year some paper crafts and digital art creations too.

Amber's 18th Birthday card... this is a scanned image sot the text is not as clear and easy to read as the actual card. I collected some of my favourite quotes for her as she embarks on her life in the great big world. The quotes used are as follows:
Life is a cup to be filled, not drained.
A heart that loves is always young.
Be grateful always.
Find beauty in all that surrounds you.
When you know yourself you will be free.
Help others, and deliver them to happiness.
Sing out loud every day.
You're never too old to jump for joy.


I started to make teapot earrings, a great way to satisfy my love for beading and for tea! I always include some of my collected tea quotes in the listings.
My etsy and madeit stores are reopening this week,

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Starry
As I know very little about stamps it goes to reason I would not know what to do with them. I love the way you have used them with your creative thoughts and hands my friend. You are so clever and your work is brilliant.
The card you have done is just beautiful and I am sure will carry many lessons for a young 18 year old starting out.
Love and friendship my sweet xoxo

Starry said...

Hi Chez, happy new year to you. As always your kind praise and encouragement is timely and I thank you for it.

How is Meg?